The simple answer to this question is no you do not need UKAS accreditation. Now that could be the end of this article but I’m sure you would like to know how I came to that conclusion.
In layman’s terms, there are UKAS and Non-UKAS accreditation bodies.
Either will issue you with a shiny new certificate at the end of the assessment process but there will be fundamental differences. Ultimately it comes down to what you want from this process and what is important to you. Even their fees will play a part in making your decision because they can differ widely.
Here are the facts
Now I don’t proclaim that I know the ins and out of all non-UKAS accreditation bodies but a couple spring to mind. I do know the ins and out of UKAS accreditation bodies, so overall for the purpose of this article I do think I am equipped to share what knowledge I know.
non-UKAS -vs- UKAS
Why choose a non-UKAS accreditation body
- Quick turnaround. You can typically get your ISO 9001 certification within a month of starting the process
- Cheaper than your UKAS accreditation body
- Follow the same ISO 9001 standard
- Not recognized within some supply chains
- Contracts range from 3 to 10 years, so once you are in, you have a while to wait
Why choose a UKAS accreditation body
- The process is typically longer and extremely thorough to gain your certification but, in some instances, it is possible to gain your certification within a month
- In comparison the fees are higher, but this is backed by highly trained auditors with industry knowledge in your field
- Follows the same ISO 9001 standard
- Visits must be carried out annually
- Appointed by a Government approved representative
- Widely recognized in all supply chains
- Annual contracts which mean you can exist at any point
The list goes on but I’m sure you get the picture.
Do I have my preference, well of course I do and there are lots of reasons why, but I want to keep this article to be as factual as I possibly can.
There’s a lot to consider when choosing the right certification body and is something you should take your time to consider before you make the wrong choice.
Need some partial advice?
If you’re in need of assistance with any aspect of an ISO certification, here at Synergos we’d be delighted to discuss this with you. Whether you have questions about the path to certification or are looking for advice and support to maintain an existing standard call 01484 666160 or email email@example.com and we’ll be happy to talk it over with you.